[CAUT] stand-by & pitch change charges

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 22:46:26 -0400

Barbara -
Basically, everything you've gotten is good advice, especially, if
possible, doing the pitch change in advance.  Out of curiosity, exactly
what pitch has been requested, and do you know if the repertoire entails
orchestral or solo piano?  Out of even more curiosity, at what pitch do you
generally maintain the piano at  that time of year? When will you have last
tuned the piano prior to this engagement?  What's the humidity control in
the hall like?  How much, if any, do you need to lower pitch for the
beginning of the concert season? Oh, so many questions!

Jon amended his initial response to allow for the possibility that they
may, in fact, not be rehearsing at all.  In fact, they requested the tuning
within 6 hours of performance, not to be finished by  6 hours before.   If
you were to pre-raise the pitch, you could come in, maybe 2 to 3 hours
before the "call" time, and you would not be dealing with standby at
all.  Otherwise, In theory, you could come in at 8:00am and wait around all
day, and that would be mucho stand-by.  $$$  :)

A question begs:  what is the purpose of your  stand-bying?  If it's
waiting for the approval of whomever, well, what time are they coming In?
And what are you supposed to do if there's a problem if the "sign-off" time
coincides with "call" time or "house open" time?  duh.

As has been said, you need to be paid for your time.  If you live across
the street from the hall, you can afford to be a little flexible on the
"leaving and coming back" scenario.  Otherwise,  unless there's time to fit
in some other work, that's not particularly satisfactory.

Can't believe we have to wait until December to hear how this one resolves.

David Skolnik