[CAUT] A440 percussion

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:10:18 -0600

    Also, there=B9s the vibrato spread. That affects the whole strings
component of the orchestra. There are several cents of variation in that
movement of fingertip on fingerboard. There is the question of =B3blending of
pitch=B2 where intervals including M3s are made beatless, especially during
slow sustained passages. The lower note of the M3 is shifted sharp, upper
goes flat, by 10 cents or so. And there are melodic techniques like
sharpening the leading tone.
    They work it out just fine. The problem instrument, from their point of
view, is the fixed pitch one like the piano <g>. As far as the orchestra is
concerned, the piano needs to have adequate stretch, be at an acceptable
overall pitch, and have good, stable unisons. They=B9ll hate the temperament
no matter what. If they bother to pay attention <g>. But dips of pitch here
and there (as in sagging tenors) won=B9t really be a problem, as they are use=
to adapting (as in the entire wind section going sharp as it heats up, and
everyone needing to lip down). Most important is where that A4 is when it i=
played as pitch reference (fortunately that happens before the lights get a
chance to act, and that note is not so liable to be changed very much).

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico