[CAUT] A-440 again

Joel A. Jones jajones2@wisc.edu
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:31:54 -0500

List,

In 40 years this 442 scenario occurred rarely.   One instance a
International Conference had request from
Europe and South America for the highest pitch of 444.  We raised one
hall and one rehearsal piano to 442.
No doubt you have already guessed that the higher pitch was selected
very few times.

In the second instance I witnessed the described tantrums for 442.
The technician asked for more time and money and
was given the OK to proceed.   The piano was retuned(A440) with minor
voicing, cleaning, stage set for best sound during
the allotted time.  In the final 5 minutes A was set to 442 with
octaves widened to adjust for the shift.   Kudos abounded.

I'm not going suggest that this is the best path to follow.   However
when in this situation I do ask you all   to consider the best
sonority of the piano.  Environmental factors do enter the picture ie
humidity levels, size of hall, reverb, etc.
  After the pitch of the entire instrument is raised to A - 440 ++
pitch level does the piano have more or less
sustain, fuller sound, or a better response???    As technicians I feel
this is the area of our expertise.
  Apply your skills.   Advise and perform accordingly.

Keep in Tune.

Joel

UW- Madison,  retired