[CAUT] A-440 again

Christopher Purdy purdy@ohio.edu
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:26:54 -0400

I agree with Mike and others on this point.  My policy here is that I
will do it for a visiting orchestra or artist if they are willing to
pay for four tunings.  I will NOT do it for a faculty recital.  I try
to be as accommodating as possible but once I open THAT door, every cat
in the place will get out.  In most cases, someone else has scheduled
to use that piano for a rehearsal the next morning and they can't
afford to pay me to stay until midnight to bring the piano back down.

Going up and down eight cents on any old piano in someone's home once a
year is one thing.  Moving one of our concert instruments that much is
a big deal.  Besides, I believe it's hard on the piano.  Yes, humidity
fluctuations in the home make a piano swing big time from season to
season but our recital hall is pretty stable.  Those pianos get tuned
constantly and stay VERY consistent.

chris

Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
School of Music, Ohio University