[CAUT] A-440 again

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:19:00 -0500

Hey, Avery,

Well, we just had the St Louis Symphony here and I had to tune a S&S D to
A=442 Hz for them.  Tomorrow the Tuscan Sun Festival Chamber Orchestra
(whoever they are) will be here, and I'll tune a harpsichord to A=440 for
them.

I remember a possibly apocryphal story of a tuner who refused to tune a
Steinway D to A=442 for a prominent conductor (maybe it was Bernstein?),
because the piano was designed to be tuned at A=440.  The conductor
complained to Steinway, and Steinway backed up the tuner.

Maybe someone at Steinway could verify this, or not.

Ken Z.

--
Ken Zahringer, RPT
Piano Technician