[CAUT] A-440 again

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:28:14 -0500

List,

This has come up again because of one particular string (viola) teacher
here. There was evidently a blow-up of some kind at a Chamber Orchestra
rehearsal last week because of
his insistence, as conductor, that they tune to A-442. His primary argument
for doing
so is that "all the major orchestras tune at least to A-442".

I understand the Cleveland orchestra doesn't. Is that still true and does
anyone know of
any other major orchestras who use A-440.

My biggest problem with it here is that as far as I know, everyone (except
him and maybe
1-2 other string players) like it at 440 and I personally just don't want
to be tuning
instruments back and forth to accommodate this A**. And yes, he really is!

I thought I'd gotten this problem settled years ago but evidently not. :-(
Anyone have
any quick ammunition I can give to the Director? He's caught in the middle
of it.
Thankfully, though, this time it doesn't involve a piano.

Thanks.

Avery Todd
University of Houston