[CAUT] CA for loose pins on a "D"?

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:32:26 -0700

At 09:15 PM 4/16/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>Less than a dozen bass pins are loose.  Treble pins are adequate but not
>what I'd want for the tensions here.  I'll treat the whole thing if I CA
>it.  The loose pins are near plate struts, and/or the keyboard (not the
>plate flange).  I've never driven pins; I don't have the tools for
>that.  None seem to have been previously driven.

Cy, I would treat only the pins which are loose. Sometimes a second
treatment, if needed, does better than the first. I think that this might
be because the CA follows cracks so readily that a lot of the first
treatment might wick away from the pin. This is the benefit of CA, of
course: it follows cracks. But then, once the first treatment has hardened,
perhaps it seals the area, so that the second treatment can stay nearer the
pin and put a new lining in the hole. Well, I don't know if this is what is
happening, but it could account for what I've seen.

I've never known pins which firmed up from CA to need anything more past
the second treatment. Has anyone else found that they loosen again later
on? If they are not loose, and any new ones which loosen can be treated
with CA, why replace the pinblock?

No reason to treat the pins which are still all right, IMHO, and the CA
stuff is pretty toxic in bulk. (Ventilation!)

I used to drive pins, but with CA I don't want to any more. I've seen too
many pins driven down to where the coil is rubbing on the plate, and the
benefit is purely temporary, since the whole pin is getting friction from
the bottom 1/8" of the hole. CA does a lot better job. Well, it has for me.

Good luck --

Susan Kline