[CAUT] CA for loose pins on a "D"?

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:15:05 -0400

Both bridges look new to my eye.  There are no shims in the soundboard =
(they wouldn't do that to a "D", would they?), and the wood looks new, =
so I assume it is, too.  Can't tell about the pinblock.  There is no =
local Steinway dealer: none in WV at all!  But I've been thinking about =
writing to Steinway to get its history (any contacts?).

Less than a dozen bass pins are loose.  Treble pins are adequate but not =
what I'd want for the tensions here.  I'll treat the whole thing if I CA =
it.  The loose pins are near plate struts, and/or the keyboard (not the =
plate flange).  I've never driven pins; I don't have the tools for that. =
 None seem to have been previously driven.

Turns out the DC has been unplugged for two years, and was only on for =
one.  The rebuild was about eight years ago, so the damage was probably =
done long ago.  Indoor winter humidity here has been around 33% (in =
homes), and is around 40% now; I'd sure like to know what it is in this =
auditorium in the winter.  The janitor said he filled the double-tank =
system about every two weeks, which seems on the high side for me.  =
That's the best ammo for my argument, I think.  I've given them the DC =
brochure and your excellent CAUT guidelines, which latter should be =
publicized more widely to the PTG membership.  I only found them by =
accident through a Google search!

Thanks for all the advice...

--Cy--
  ----- Original Message -----=20