[CAUT] Re: Chihuly Steinway

Mary Smith marysmith@mail.utexas.edu
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:18:36 -0500

Hi Jim,

I tried to figure out how to forward to you all the picture that Steve
Brady took of my 10-year-old daughter at the keyboard of the Chihuly
Steinway last August when we were visiting Seattle (the piano is parked at
Sherman Clay there for a while). It is a beautiful picture, and my girl
looks (for the moment anyway) entranced by the thing. I think the extra $$$
are a reflection of the instrument's value as a work of art, not
necessarily that it's such a superior musical instrument. Keyboard
instruments have a long tradition of being visual delights as well as
aural. Perhaps it's not your taste, but it is no less legitimate an
undertaking than other art cases that might please you more. Just my
thoughts. By the way, I think it does sound and play very well, though my
daughter found an out-of-tune unison on it right away (ha!).

Regards,
Mary