[CAUT] Replacing plastic flange on spinet wippen

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:24:16 -0700

If you drill a large hole in the soundboard you can usually reach the =
wippen flange screw with a long, narrow screwdriver through the strings =
from the back side.  It has little effect on the sound quality of a =
Lester spinet.  In fact, if you're worried about degrading the overall =
tonal spectrum of such beasts and wish to bring them back up to par, but =
have been hindered from doing so because of a lack of suitable standard, =
just head out into some farmer's field, tape recorder & shovel in hand.  =
Set up recorder where the herd has tarried for some time, grasp shovel =
firmly and whack a few cow pies.  After eluding the bull in the pasture, =
return to said PSO, play back recording and voice accordingly.  Use =
residue on shovel to patch afore-mentioned hole in soundboard.

Otto
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jeff Olson=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 5:30 PM
  Subject: [CAUT] Replacing plastic flange on spinet wippen

  I encountered an "interesting" (as in Chinese curse) repair the other =
day -- replacing a shattered plastic wippen on a Lester "plasticized" =
spinet.  Didn't want to remove the action, since that promised to =
shatter more of those wonderful plastic flanges, plus be ridiculously =
time-consuming (I'd ask how much you all would charge to remove a spinet =
action and repair this one flange -- along with the others that would =
likely break -- but I wouldn't want to risk offending the antitrust gods =
yet again:-).

  Anyhow, to make a long story short, though no less painful, I finally =
managed to replace the **($$#@! flange.  I won't describe my methods; =
rather, I'm hoping to hear from anyone here what techniques, magical or =
scientific or otherwise, they might employ toward this end.

  Best,

  Jeff O