[CAUT] PVC-E glue

Stan Kroeker stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:37:17 -0500

Ladies and gents,

Have retopped many dozens of sets of keys over the years and consider
suitable only two types of adhesive:  latex contact cement (available at
most building centers) and PVC-E (available from our esteemed piano
parts suppliers).  Both of these adhesives form a slightly rubbery bond
between dissimilar materials (wood and plastic).  Although the latex
contact cement works well and has great merit, my favorite is the PVC-E.

Apply grit and clamp them if you must, but it really isn't necessary.
Yes, there is some momentary slipperiness but a few seconds of finger
pressure is all that is required.  Gently wipe the squeeze-out with your
fingers and transfer to a dampened rag (helps to have the key in a vice
or simply spring-clamped to the workbench).  Confirm proper alignment,
set the key aside and move on to the next.

Entire gluing procedure takes less than an hour with only eight fingers,
two thumbs, one glue brush and a gluey dampened rag to rinse.  The bond
cures sufficiently for trimming (you are using Bill Spurlock's router
jig, are you?) within 2 hours and any remaining squeeze-out can be
rubbed off with your thumb (or yet another dampened rag).

If you need proof of the firmness of bond, present a sample key to your
4 year old nephew (or niece) and challenge him/her to remove the top.
This 'acid test' will convince you that the keys are now worthy of the
rigors of the concert stage and the fingers of Dickran Atamian.

Best regards from the soggy Canadian prairie,

Stan Kroeker, RPT