[CAUT] PVC-E glue

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:16:18 -0500

I have used PVC-E for keytops, and I like it, most of the time.  I assume
you're talking new plastic, not ivory repair, so I'll skip all those
pitfalls.  They are legion.

I use a brush, but I suppose a roller would work as well, and might be
quicker.  Apply to one surface - I usually do the key.  Put the keytop on
immediately.  I don't always clamp on repair jobs, but the two surfaces
still have to be pressed together firmly to make a good joint.  If I were
doing a whole set, I would clamp them just to make it go faster.  The only
problem I have experienced is perhaps too much "wiggle room".  If you apply
too much glue, the keytop can slide around a fair bit when you clamp it.
For fine positioning, though, you have plenty of time - a couple of minutes
anyway - before the initial set.  PVC dries clear and a little rubbery, so
it trims very easily.  It dries fairly quickly, so you could trim it in an
hour or two if you're pressed for time, but leaving it until tomorrow never
hurts.  Hope this helps.

Ken Z.