[CAUT] Pricing of upright versus grand hammer installation

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:17:57 -0700

Kent complained:

"I believe my statements in support of the antitrust guidelines come out
of respect for the laws of the land, and I consider any
characterization of that respect as "paranoid" or "fearful" to be
unfair and mean-spirited."

Laws are being challenged, and often quite rightly, every day in America.
Rather than being "mean-spirited," it's an honorable and distinctly American
tradition to challenge -- that is, to "disrespect" a law sufficiently to
want to change it -- and, in fact, it was out of such "disrespect" that this
country was born.

As for anti-trust laws, from my study of them during my econ-major days, I
consider them to be an incoherent, logically contradictory mess -- and their
execution even *more* logically incoherent and contradictory.   But even as
crazy as they are, they don't forbid people or organizations from posting
prices, or from making wages public knowledge; that's done by most major
businesses in the U.S.  Anti-trust concerns *collusion*, implied or
explicit, not public disclosure of basic business data.

But I do agree with you on one thing: this kind of discussion is better
reserved for other lists (I'm a member of philosophy lists which discuss
these kinds of issues all the time, and I see no need to do it here, though
to peremptorily suggest that we can't occasionally indulge in such exchanges
seems excessively heavy-handed).

Best,

Jeffo