[CAUT] Pricing of upright versus grand hammer installation

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:06:26 -0600

On 4/11/05 10:10 AM, "Jim Kinnear" <jim@pianoguy.com> wrote:

> Thank you for putting a bit of detail into what might be seen as a blanke=
> prohibition, based on unclarified fear of the government. .

I doubt =B3the government=B2 is watching or cares the least little bit. BUT the
notion of a disgruntled dealer, mad at being unable to find someone to do
$25 floor tunings, suing in order to instill the fear of gov in the local
techs, or filing a complaint that leads to =B3investigation=B2 =AD that is a very
realistic scenario. I frankly think chapter or organization would prevail
(in virtually any scenario I can realistically imagine), but it might easil=
bankrupt the organization to do so, as the Twin Cities case makes clear.
    There is not a blanket prohibition on discussing fees, but there are
several caveats. It is absolutely permissible to do surveys which ask about
pricing, and to post the results, for instance, and PTG does this.
    It=B9s really quite silly, as prices are clearly more nearly fixed in man=
professions than they are in ours. Every reputable auto repair shop charges
exactly the same labor rate and uses the same blue book to determine hours,
for instance. Makes you want to be a libertarian, almost <g>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico