[CAUT] Update on S & C Prelude

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:10:09 -0700

At 10:50 PM 4/6/2005 -0400, Clarence wrote:
>The problem was the rubber grommet on the top pin in the pitman dowel.  I
>had some grommet's with me but I thought the squeak would probably come
>back in a few months if I put another one in there.  I ended up putting
>bushing cloth over the pin and letting it hang over the bottom. This has
>an aluminum damper tray and the rubber was squeaking on the aluminum.

I HATE rubber parts in pianos! (Except rubber buttons on cases, though
leather buttons last better ... )

I think your solution is okay -- I might prefer leather. I did replace one
of these grommets with a fresh one (just like the original) and put just a
trace of VJ lube on the pitman pin, and then packed the grommet with teflon
powder, but really one needs a different kind of grommet. Perhaps they
could make a larger hole in the aluminum tray, and install a wooden block
with a bushed hole in it, or maybe even a hammer felt block.

Susan Kline