[CAUT] Update on S & C Prelude

Clarence Zeches czeches@alltel.net
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:50:17 -0400

An update on the Story & Clark baby grand with the squeaking pedal.  It
was the damper pedal and I tried most of the suggestions that were sent.
I wove felt in the coil spring, I put leather in the bottom of the
pitman hole and I thought I had solved it.  After about 20 pumps on the
pedal the squeak was back, louder than ever.  I tried using protec on
the pivot points but the squeak kept coming back.  I finally pulled the
action and out fell about 20 marbles, but that wasn't the problem
either.

The problem was the rubber grommet on the top pin in the pitman dowel.
I had some grommet's with me but I thought the squeak would probably
come back in a few months if I put another one in there.  I ended up
putting bushing cloth over the pin and letting it hang over the bottom.
This has an aluminum damper tray and the rubber was squeaking on the
aluminum.

I would be interested in what others have done to stop the squeak there.

Clarence Zeches