[CAUT] pianist lubricating keys

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:07:35 -0600

On 4/5/05 8:28 PM, "David Ilvedson" <ilvey@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> A client of mine, Denny Zeitlin, uses talcum powder to make the keys less
> sticky from sweat...
>
> David I.
Denny also seems to have a desire to apply silicone oil to action centers
when on tour - two requests in two years at a venue I service here in
Albuquerque. Piano in question is, yes, an old Steinway, but with brand new
action, no friction problems in the centers, and only moderately on the
heavy side, touch-wise (DW circa 50 g rather than 45 g, BW between 35 and
40). I assume he is going by prior experience with verdigris, and projecting
it onto the current piano (he claims he does this all the time, that it
frees up the action for the show and then the effect disappears, that his
tech told him this is what he should do). Hey, he's a shrink, bound to have
a complex or two <g>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico