[CAUT] Hello - and looking for piano replacement help

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 11:42:35 -0700

Are you sure you won't be disgusted with the replies?

David I.

Original message
From: Rob Goodale
Subject: [CAUT] Hello - and looking for piano replacement help

Hello all, new to the list.

For those who don't know me:
Piano Tech for UNLV (University of Nevada, Las Vegas), over 6=
 years now.
RPT for at least 10 years now.
Former subscriber to the PTG tech list for many years - got=
 disgusted with it's degradation and left about six months ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------=
-----------------------------------------------------------------=
-AND NOW FOR SERIOUS BUSINESS-

UNLV has a host of junky pianos suitable for use as boat anchors.=
  Mostly Yamahas and Kawais averaging in age from about 20-30=
 years, (scary).  For all practical purposes they are no longer=
 maintainable, don't stay tuned, breaking strings, beat to death,=
 etc.

After years of persuasion and warnings I actually have the=
 administration listening and contemplating budgeting for=
 replacing the entire lot of them, (about +/- 45 units).  We have=
 received bids and some factory reps have visited.  I am now=
 writing a detailed report to submit next week which will express=
 my findings, recommendations, and will include close up color=
 photographs of worn out piano parts.  This is what I hope will=
 be the final blow that will topple the preverbal tower of=
 administrative resistance.

We currently have a dealer loan program that appears to have worn=
 out it's usefulness.  It really needs to go away permanently in=
 favor of all new owned replacements.  I know there are many of=
 you out there who have had plenty of experience in loan=
 programs.  I am hoping to accumulate a few short testimonials=
 from other university techs on "why old university pianos need=
 to be replaced", and "why dealer loan programs are a bad idea". =
 (For those who have had good loan program experiences this part=
 is not for you).  I am hoping for a couple short paragraphs from=
 a few other university techs that I can quote in my report. =
 Anyone willing to contribute please forward your prose to me=
 ASAP.  Be aware that I may be required to do some minor editing,=
 (including possible shortening),  to make your words fit within=
 the space and context of my report.  Please include the name of=
 the university.

Thanks for your help.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV