[CAUT] pianist lubricating keys

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:31:21 -0700

Robert,

At 12:22 PM 4/5/2005, you wrote:
>Hi John,
>
>Working with Dickran was one of the more "memorable" concert prep
>experiences I had during my 11-year tenure at Michigan State U.   I'm
>not sure that he was using shoe polish at the time, but, I do recall
>his wearing black leather gloves, backstage, prior to his
>performance...

and, by and large, unmemorable performances for all of the posturing and
carrying on.

I don't mind all the extraneous stuff - so long as the musical performance
is at a level which, in some way, justifies the expenditures of
energy.  However, when it seems to be more about ego than art, it becomes
at least pretentious if not downright ostentatious...and, for other than
pedagogical purposes, a waste.

Best.

Horace