[CAUT] Wippen Bolstering

dan l tassin dltassinpiano@juno.com
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:09:49 -0500

>I take it that you are using bushing cloth to bolster?  Since most
cushions are glued onto the entire wood surface,
>what is your technique for getting the cloth in?
>
>David I. ,

------------------------

David,

One of the neat tricks is to trim one end of the felt material being used
to a point with scissors, threaded into, and used with a needle.
Here is the "preparations" before treading.

NOW, WAIT :
IF  you find an action where  ALL  the cushions are glued down
end-to-end, IN
the wippen cushion "pocket,"   you will need to FIRST take an X-Acto
knife blade,
or sharp pocketknife blade, and run it through to allow a "clearing"
under
(and between) the cushion felt and the wood surface
( i.e: where the capstan makes contact ).        THEN  ................

Using a  LARGE  needle  ( like what's used in knitting ) ,
THREAD  the sharp end through the eye of the needle.   Next,
(with the action turned upside down)  push down on the neighboring
wipping to allow the needle to past UNDER the old capstan felt, and
keep going (threading) one right after another;  keep  "treading" through
 ALL
the felts  [ like threading shoe lace in your shoes ].

ONCE you complete the WHOLE set, then take a  VERY  sharp X-Acto blade,
razor blade, surgical knife, etc.,  and trim off the excess on  EACH
side of the
wippen to give you a CLEAN CUT OFF of material.

IF  the old felts are still secure enough to hold and NOT  "pop"  off
either end,
you shouldn't have to glue, or rather, you SHOULDN'T glue the "Bushing"
material
you are using to  "Bolster" the Capstan felts.  Just the "ends" of
cushion felt should
make glued contact with the wood of the wippen.

I wouldn't leave it in a  "HUMP"  as it first looks when "threading" the
material under
the felt,  but rather,  take a small hammer or wood block and  "lightly"
tap the felt down
to  "gently"  round off the work area to allow for faster and easier
regulation when all
the action is back together and in the piano ( keyframe ).  If you leave
TOO great of a
hump,  you will have to back off the capstans much more making it longer
to re-regulate
the actions to keys.

Keep in mind,  THIS  "quick"  adjustment will work for  hammer shank
knuckles as well.  However,
there still has to be a lot of  "knuckle clean up"  from all the Jack
markings.   But, still,
the following statement holds true for knuckles as well as Capstan pads.

Another useful, and "quick", material you can use  IS  Knitting yarn.
However,  just
remember and  REALIZE  that this  "Bolstering"  thang  is just a  "SHORT"
term  "fix."
The  REAL  remedy is to cut  NEW cushion material and reglue in the slots
from which
the old ones come out.   ( when worn,  Knuckles  NEED  to be replaced. )
Would you put  " RE-TREADS"  on your car tires, or buy new ones ???

However, You can't  EVER   "fail"   from doing it  " CORRECTLY "  the
first time.
( I think my colleague, Ed, would tell you this to begin with ...  first.
)

Best Of Bolstering !!           ...    [  Thank God For  "Quick Fixes"
!!! ]

Dan Tassin, RPT
Asst. Piano Tech.
Blair School of Music,
Vanderbilt

PS:  For a  REALLY  smoother feel to your regulation afterwards,  FIRST
polish
        the Capstans on a polishing wheel before reinstalling the keys
back on the keyframe.
        It's  UNBELIEVABLE  how the   " touch / feel "  changes for the
BETTER ...  a much
        smoother travel of the key.