[CAUT] toothing blade for ribbing etc

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 08:20:05 +0200

David,

On the contrary , toothing allow the excess glue  to be driven out more
easely (Excessive is certainly bad indeed ).

The planes for toothing have an almost straight holding of the blade.(
5-10°). a little more like a scraper but it makes shaves.

Brushing the wood with a special metal brush with flat metal tooths is good
to clean it without too.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG

-----Message d'origine-----
De : caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]De la part de
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Envoyé : dimanche 5 septembre 2004 18:31
À : College and University Technicians
Objet : Re: [CAUT] toothing blade for ribbing etc

How about a bit of light sanding.  Excessive toothing won't actually help
with glue adhesion or strengthen the joint.  The best glue joints have only
a few microns of glue in the joint.  Excessive toothing can increase the
thickness of the glue in the joint to the point that it actually loses
strength.

David Love

  List
  I was helping a friend learn bridge work ( Fenton Murray) & we got to
talking about how to put the tooth or the lines one often sees in two wooden
parts joined together. This tooth gives a better glue adhesion. Any way he
found a toothing blade for my nielsen plane. So far I find hand holding it &
using like a scraper works pretty well to put a tooth on the backs of soft
wood ribs.Probaly isn't good for the blade but .....the toothing has
incidentally has reduced the slidin around the ribs want to do when pressin
them on the board.
  This toothing business isalso good for bridge caps & bodies before
joining. Good for a host of other applications you all are probaly thinking
about.
  Blessings
  Dale