[CAUT] toothing blade for ribbing etc

davidlovepianos@comcast.net davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:31:07 +0000

How about a bit of light sanding.  Excessive toothing won't actually help with glue adhesion or strengthen the joint.  The best glue joints have only a few microns of glue in the joint.  Excessive toothing can increase the thickness of the glue in the joint to the point that it actually loses strength.
David Love

List
I was helping a friend learn bridge work ( Fenton Murray) & we got to talking about how to put the tooth or the lines one often sees in two wooden parts joined together. This tooth gives a better glue adhesion. Any way he found a toothing blade for my nielsen plane. So far I find hand holding it & using like a scraper works pretty well to put a tooth on the backs of soft wood ribs.Probaly isn't good for the blade but .....the toothing has incidentally has reduced the slidin around the ribs want to do when pressin them on the board.
This toothing business isalso good for bridge caps & bodies before joining. Good for a host of other applications you all are probaly thinking about.
Blessings
Dale