[CAUT] sizing key-frame pin holes?

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.ca
Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:09:33 -0500

Thanks to everyone for a variety of good suggestions.

Yesterday Scott and I went to the "D" action (Kluge keyboard/ Pianotek pins)
I mentioned replacing key-pins on several years back.... equipped with a
key-spacing tool.

The pin-holes had been "swabbed" with glue-sizing (water to aliphatic 4:1),
likely because that was best I knew, and Susan Graham had mentioned this was
a reliable concentration for key-pin holes.

Speaking of "unisons," the key-pins are still tight, and rotated in nice,
snug "tick, tick, tick" increments, similar to a nicely fit tuning-pin.

I had Scott swab the Heintzman frame with wood-glue and water, as above...
not that CA wouldn't be excellent, just that the above works fine.

The real story I want to tell (if you can bear with me for 3 more minutes,
is about Scott, my 16-year-old assistant:

Yesterday, I mentioned how I really would like to have the key-spacing tool
I'd just beveled, "case-hardened." He just walked in a minute ago and hands
me the tool with that tell-tale "blue-ish" color right where it's supposed
to be!

Last week he took my floor-standing wood-cabinet, antique-ish short-wave
tube radio (found treasure for the lake) home and reconditioned it, and the
week before diagnosed, by-passed then replaced the switch on our combination
sander!

On top of that he turns out the crispest, neatest key-bushing and action
work, that I'd be more than a little insecure to compare against my own work
.... maybe yours too. ;>)

Just want to say there is "good help" out there (I include Jeremey, my other
talented assistant as well), and some remarkably skilled and willing young
individuals that are a joy to work with!

thanks for suffering my little speech, and for everyone's valued
contributions!

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University