[CAUT] Steinway Verticals

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:41:06 -0500

Dale-
Yes, part of my plan was to grind down the hump.
Maybe renotch the bridge and put new pins in epoxy... this is getting expensive.
I understand Steinway has reduced the hump recently, and also gone to shorter tuning pins.

Ed S.

To: caut@ptg.org
Sent: 11/19/2004 9:24:30 AM
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Steinway Verticals

      Some of these pianos are really as you say difficult to tune & full of false beats.  Stringing the piano & it's contribution to false beats id debatable. As careful as we've been about how the string comes off the spool and lays around the hitch pin we still end up with false beats. However in my experience a large contributing factor to them is over pulling the strings above pitch either accidentally or on purpose with the intended idea of pre stretching the strings. Do not do it. It often can happen accidentally by the rookie ear tuner who was given the job of pitching & inherently the treble is pulled too sharp. I this case the string can actually be pulled out of shape physically.
  I would try Ron N's suggestion from last year and tap each bridge pin further into the bridge thereby removing any notch in the bridge pin due to wear down and away from the string. I've tried this & it works often.
 As to restrining I'd say try a couple of the wost unison to start but making sure you do this in conjunction with a new & tight fitting bridge pin. See what happens.
 As for the tuning difficulty, Stwy puts a huge & un-necessary (ImO)counter bearing hump on the plate in the trebles sections. The last model S&S 45 I restrung this year I used a carbide cutter with a die grinder & greatly reduced the height o hump.  If you string the entire piano I suggest you do this. Those humps increase friction enomously & to what benifit or reason, I ask?
  The rest is a mystery
   Dale