[CAUT] Steinway Verticals

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:24:29 EST

Some of these pianos are really  as you say difficult to tune & full of false
beats.  Stringing the  piano & it's contribution to false beats id debatable.
As careful as we've  been about how the string comes off the spool and lays
around the hitch pin we  still end up with false beats. However in my
experience a large contributing  factor to them is over pulling the strings above pitch
either accidentally or on  purpose with the intended idea of pre stretching
the strings. Do not do it. It  often can happen accidentally by the rookie ear
tuner who was given the job of  pitching & inherently the treble is pulled too
sharp. I this case the string  can actually be pulled out of shape physically.
  I would try Ron N's suggestion from last year and tap  each bridge pin
further into the bridge thereby removing any notch in the bridge  pin due to wear
down and away from the string. I've tried this & it  works often.
 As to restrining I'd say try a couple of the  wost unison to start but
making sure you do this in conjunction with a  new & tight fitting bridge pin. See
what happens.
 As for the tuning difficulty, Stwy puts a huge &  un-necessary (ImO)counter
bearing hump on the plate in the trebles sections. The  last model S&S 45 I
restrung this year I used a carbide cutter with a die  grinder & greatly reduced
the height o hump.  If you string the  entire piano I suggest you do this.
Those humps increase friction enomously  & to what benifit or reason, I ask?
  The rest is a mystery
   Dale