[CAUT] OT dsl, cable and dialup

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:35:10

Hi Jeff,

Cable internet is a bit more complex than "just having the wires" in place.
They also have to pay for a connection to the backbone--or a commercial
ISP, and they pay for every byte of data that flows through their servers
(another new expense that they didn't have before). At least in Canada the
cable companies choose to "own" the modems as well--so they have another
additional expense.

DSL requires the provider to replace all switches and line amps. with data
capapable devices. The switch or amp can currently be no more than about 15
miles from your location--or dsl is *not* possible.

Personally I was very happy with unlimited dialup service--but that is no
longer an option where I live--so I've been forced into cable.

At 02:04 PM 18/11/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>It was overkill capacity already in place for television application
>sitting there doing nothing until they figured out how to run the
>internet through it.  Should cost the cable company practically nothing
>to offer you that service.
>
>On the other hand, with dial up, capability is having to be constantly
>added just to handle voice application growth, let alone data
>application growth.
>
>I'm not sure I understand exactly why DSL and dial up aren't exactly
>the same thing, just a different piece of equipment sending different
>signals through the same capacity.

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca		http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.
REGINA, SK