McLube on keybeds (Was Re: [CAUT] Teaching Piano Tuning)

Boaz Kirschenbaum artisanpiano@gmail.com
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:54:50 -0500

David,

I was specifically referring to McLube 444L (the liquid stuff in the
can, from Pianotek). I experienced problems with its use as a keybed
lubricant, especially where the back corners of the keyframe meet the
keybed. It can cause a squeak at unacorda shift later on, i.e., after
a few days or weeks.

In my opinion McLube 444L  is to be used for unlike materials, such as
keypins and keybushings, and not for like materials, such as wood to
wood.

I usually didn't need to lubricate the keybed at all in most cases.
The general keyframe fitting and planing of the keyframe is done by
hand at the factory. At the final prep, it was more a matter of
fine-tuning the keyframe bedding, especially at the season/environment
change, re-checking the keyblock fit, and making sure that the shift
setting was correct.

In some cases if lubrication was needed I used a graphite stick at the
stud contacts, burnished to a sheen with an old hammer.

-Boaz