[CAUT] Teaching Piano Tuning (Boaz Kirschenbaum)

Boaz Kirschenbaum artisanpiano@gmail.com
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:45:54 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Boaz Kirschenbaum <artisanpiano@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:42:28 -0500
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Teaching Piano Tuning
To: Don <pianotuna@accesscomm.ca>

Hi Don,

I have not heard of this software, what is it?

Anything that saves time is good. I started using ear plugs a couple
of years ago to save my ears (and I got headaches from all the
verticals). It makes a difference with regard to time, fatigue, and
quality. Plus I like to think I will still be doing this in 30-40
years.

I was the only tuner I knew of at Steinway, other than Eric Schandall,
who used ear plugs. I suggested it to tuners who complained of fatigue
but they were very skeptical...plus there is always that "outsider"
attitude (i.e., what could Boaz know, he's only been at it for a
couple of years).

I also think the only way to tune a Steinway NY vertical is by ear.
They just don't respond well as a rule, and after two hours you have
to listen to it and just say, "well...at least it sounds better than
it did".

I wonder how software can judge tonal color though?

Boaz