[CAUT] Lacquering Steinway Hammers

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:24:43 EST

=20
Dave
 Ok we're coming at it from differing perspectives.=20
 I definitely disagree with Mcmorrows method because of the blocking  action=
=20
of successive coats of lacquer & I believe Stwys get it right on the  first=20
shot approach probably verifies this.
 I was advocating experimentation & thus familiarity. You know...  the=20
learning curve.
   Regards
   Dale

I didn=E2=80=99t miss your  point.  The issue speaks to the  number of appli=
cations=20
that are typical in terms of Steinway=E2=80=99s recommendation  and whether=20=
or not the=20
solids content is the only factor that determines  density building.  There=20
are  different approaches to lacquering ranging from Ed McMorrow=E2=80=99s o=
f using a=20
seemingly dilute solution and many  applications, to those who advocate a on=
e=20
application approach and a stronger  solution.  Interestingly, since we  don=
=E2=80=99t=20
know the solids content of the lacquer that McMorrow used, it may be that hi=
s=20
solution was, in fact,  not any different than the one Steinway generally=20
advocates.  You can certainly get a satisfactory  result, at least in the sh=
ort=20
term, either way.  How the hammer develops over time or  the stability of th=
e=20
voicing that results may be another matter.   Of course, we can each go out=20=
and=20
get a  gallon of lacquer and start experimenting (which I have done), but it=
=20
might be  useful, as a starting point, to see what the general guidelines ar=
e=20
from those  who advocate and have daily experience with this approach.  =20
=20
David  Love