[CAUT] Lacquering Steinway Hammers

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:39:17 -0800

That's interesting then.  It suggests that the lacquer that I am using
should be diluted to 7:1 (24%) to achieve the 3% by weight that Steinway
uses.  The next issue is whether or not the solids content is the only
factor in determining what makes the felt more dense.  A 7:1 solution of
the lacquer I use doesn't really do the job without multiple, and I mean
multiple, applications.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Fred Sturm
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 6:13 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Lacquering Steinway Hammers

I asked Eric that precise question. He was very clear that it was
weight,
not volume. I suspect they take lacquer that has already been formulated
in
the factory: IOW, it's not "off the shelf." I know they do take it
direct
from the factory floor (walk over and get some). I suspect Steinway buys
it
at higher concentration. Or maybe they mix their own.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
http://music.unm.edu/about/staff_members/fred_s_sturm.php
A mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.