[CAUT] Lacquering Steinway Hammers

Boaz Kirschenbaum artisanpiano@gmail.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:04:37 -0500

Russell,

When I worked at Steinway Hall, I experimented with several ratios but
generally had success with 4:1 acetone:lacquer. It does produce a
similar tone color as 3:1 without the longer waiting time.

I never learned exactly where the clear lacquer came from. I
used the clear lacquer supplied by the factory in Astoria, most likely
the same lacquer used in the concert department as well. The unadulterated
clear lacquer looked like honey or vegetable oil. It was not opaque or
cloudy.

I'm not sure of the percetage of solids. There wasn't really a way to
find out that kind of info, since the lacquer was transferred from its
original container at the factory, and then sent over to the Hall from
the factory.

I would 100% agree with both Eric and Ron's assertion that to build
tone and keep resiliency, the techniques and materials used are
extremely important. Also, I strongly believe careful experimentation
is very important.

My process consisted of the first application, waiting to allow for
penetration. I would then test the tone and the balance, and then add
the second application as needed.

I did notice that the overall tone can still creep "up" after
drying, in the hours after the solution had settled in, or even during
the next day, so I would try to err on the side of caution. But each
situation is different.

I would stress that it's important not to overlacquer. It can be
problematic and in some cases irreversible.

If you overlacquer, it can be very difficult to achieve balance,
especially in the melodic section (the area between the treble and
high treble struts). Also if there is too much of the lacquer solids
in the hammer it will not be resilient enough, and won't give you good
color. With an overlacquered hammer, the volume may be there, but it
will be unfocused and with a harsher color.

I would consider 3:1 to be aggressive. I think the tone can become a
little edgy, particularly in the smaller pianos. I did not use 3:1
very often, and preferred to use multiple applications of 4:1 to
build up the tone in stages.

But I was also more conservative than some of the other techs.

On the other hand, I tried 15:1 and 8:1, but these seemed to be too weak to me.

I didn't measure out in terms of ounces, either, I just did it by eye,
and then swirled the hypo-oiler for about a minute or so to mix.

The resulting viscosity will be similar to olive oil.

I have tried on my own since leaving Steinway to find suitable
nitrocellulose lacquer from outside vendors and it's hard to find.
Most local hardware stores don't stock it.

McMaster-Carr, the industrial supplier, does not have it either.
However, they do have Methanol for those who might need it for action
work.

www.mcmaster.com

So...experiment with 4:1 to start, and see what happens.

Hope this comment helps.

Boaz