[CAUT] Lacquering Steinway Hammers

vince mrykalo madvinmryk@yahoo.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:48:42 -0800 (PST)

I'm with you, Dale.

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:    Lacquer heads
  Come on now get your nose out ta da microscope maan. This is not all that difficult & there are no magic lacquers it's jsut what's available to them. If you've found straight nitro cellulose lacquer then thin it and apply it until your familiar with the result.
   I think Patrick said Wurdack. He's right. Its a high solids lacquer designed to be sprayed hot at about 150 degress & has a distinct odor. It takes many moons to really get hard ,just look at the the black finishes coming out of the plant where the buutons hit the rim.
 Out here in Calif We have US cellulose  brand that most refinishers in this region use & it works fine. 3 to 1 is a pretty stiff solution & I usually use it as my intial dose of Stwy hammer lacquer but it depends on the initial density I percieve inherent in the felt as they come out of the box. I use it on Many different kinds of felt. Whats the solids? I dont' know & don't really care as long as it makes the hammer stiffer. I'd avoid a lacquer that had any varnish or other non lacquer type additives.
 Use the ventilation all.
   Dale Erwin

Vince Mrykalo
University of Utah