[CAUT] Lacquering Steinway Hammers

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:44:09 EST

Lacquer  heads
  Come on now get your nose out ta da microscope maan. This is  not all that
difficult & there are no magic lacquers it's jsut what's  available to them.
If you've found straight nitro cellulose lacquer then  thin it and apply it
until your familiar with the result.
   I think Patrick said Wurdack. He's right. Its a high solids  lacquer
designed to be sprayed hot at about 150 degress & has a distinct  odor. It takes
many moons to really get hard ,just look at the the black  finishes coming out
of the plant where the buutons hit the rim.
 Out here in Calif We have US cellulose  brand  that most refinishers in this
region use & it works fine. 3 to 1 is a  pretty stiff solution & I usually
use it as my intial dose of Stwy hammer  lacquer but it depends on the initial
density I percieve inherent in the felt as  they come out of the box. I use it
on Many different kinds of felt.  Whats the solids? I dont' know & don't
really care as long as it makes the  hammer stiffer. I'd avoid a lacquer that had
any varnish or other non lacquer  type additives.
 Use the ventilation all.
   Dale  Erwin

I have only been  able to locate two lacquer products sold locally. Neither
had this spec.listed  on the label. By calling the company I found that the one
product I have always  used when applying lacquer, "Deft" Clear Wood finish,
was nitrocellulose lacquer  with a solid content of 26% by weight! The other
product I located made my  "Watco" was also a nitrocellulose lacquer with
26%-27% solids by  weight.

Could this mean that a 3:1  solution of "Deft" lacquer was more like a 1:1
solution of "Steinway" lacquer,  since both would be around 6% solids ( by my
rough  calculation)?

Now, I am now  wondering how meaningful the various opinions are about the
strength of the  lacquer solution 15:1 3:1 etc. , without a specification of the
solid content of  the lacquer being used.

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com