[CAUT] teaching piano tuning

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 12:07:41 -0500

Wim, I think our concerns are way below the radar of politicians, educators and college chancellors, and that it will always be a special situation that brings about a piano technology program.

I don't know that we need very many of them.  I suppose 2 or 3 public school programs would be the most the country could support, and the division of public education into state systems means that inevitably state "X" will find most of the piano tech students are from out of state.

When you find out what community colleges are paying instructors, you hit another problem.  One reason they like the standard syllabus approach is that it enables them to pay teachers one course at a time at very low rates.

At WITCC, Doug Neal was paid to be a full time mentor to his students, and that is what made the program work.

I have wondered if it might be possible to create a summer program for piano majors.  It would be a heavy course load for a music student to add to a degree that is already heavy with course requirements, but it would offer a music major a good way to earn a living upon graduation, and might gain a new generation of bright, musically literate technicians into our profession.

Ed Sutton

To: ed440@mindspring.com
Sent: 11/6/2004 10:50:26 AM
Subject: Re: [CAUT] teaching piano tuning

In a message dated 11/5/04 6:58:53 PM Central Standard Time, ed440@mindspring.com writes:
I was told that the North Carolina program was shut down partly due to political pressures on community colleges and tech schools to use state money to train employees for industry, not for private practice.
I wonder if this policy might change, now that North Carolina, and other states, is loosing so many manufacturing jobs, and would probably welcome having CC's teach service sector professions, like piano tuning.

Wim