[CAUT] teaching piano tuning

Marcel Carey mcpiano@videotron.ca
Fri, 05 Nov 2004 07:59:01 -0500

Just a thought, maybe PTG RPT status should be either the final exam or =
part of the course in piano tech schools. If they would have the PTG =
exams as part of their curriculum, it would be a good incentive for =
students to finish. I think RPT status should become the standard for =
apprentices that want to earn a living as piano techs.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC
  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of =
Wimblees@aol.com
  Sent: November 5, 2004 12:11 AM
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] teaching piano tuning

  In a message dated 11/4/2004 7:21:11 PM Central Standard Time, =
jim_busby@byu.edu writes:
    Wim,

    =20

    The answer isn=E2=80=99t a lack of students here at BYU. We turn =
down around 10 to 15 people every year who want to learn to =
=E2=80=9Ctune=E2=80=9D.  BYU has had piano tech programs in the past =
which produced several fine technicians. Currently we have a =
=E2=80=9Cmentoring program=E2=80=9D with 3 students. Our Dean has asked =
why we don=E2=80=99t start another larger program. Here are some of the =
reasons we gave;

    =20

    1. Time/budget/space. How could we fit in more when we=E2=80=99re up =
to our eyeballs with work now?

    2. Market saturation. If we produced 5 or 10 RPTs a year =E2=80=A6 =
well, soon we=E2=80=99d have too many locally.

    3. Competition with local technicians. Some are already upset that =
we produce one RPT a year.

    4. In the past some have quit the program early thinking they knew =
enough=E2=80=A6 (they didn=E2=80=99t)

    =20

    I agree with you on the need for more top notch technicians, but =
don=E2=80=99t know if a school is the answer. Do you see these as =
issues?

    =20

    Jim

  Jim

  I can understand the time/budget space issue. The question is, is the =
Dean interested enough to budget another full time faculty member to =
teach the course of study, and fund the equipment, space, supplies, =
etc.?

  As far saturating the market, I think that will solve itself. When a =
piano tuner graduates, and sees there is no business, they will move to =
areas of the country that does need them. If BYU does start a full time =
program, it will attract students from around the country. (Same =
philosophy as doctors and accountants graduating from the school. They =
don't all stay in Provo, do they?)=20

  As far as students leaving early, if the school offers a degree, it =
should encourage most of them to graduate. It doesn't prevent them from =
leaving early, thinking "they know it all," but might be enough of an =
incentive for them to stay.=20

  Which brings us to the other posts, the need for college level techs =
to have a BS. If the CAUT program is successful, and universities start =
asking for tuners with the education and experience, it might encourage =
students to get the degree.

  Just some thoughts on the matter.

  Wim =