[CAUT] teaching piano tuning

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 00:11:08 EST

=20
In a message dated 11/4/2004 7:21:11 PM Central Standard Time, =20
jim_busby@byu.edu writes:

Wim,=20
The answer isn=E2=80=99t a  lack of students here at BYU. We turn down aroun=
d 10 to=20
15 people every year  who want to learn to =E2=80=9Ctune=E2=80=9D.  BYU  has=
 had piano tech=20
programs in the past which produced several fine  technicians. Currently we=20=
have=20
a =E2=80=9Cmentoring program=E2=80=9D with 3 students. Our Dean  has asked w=
hy we don=E2=80=99t=20
start another larger program. Here are some of the  reasons we gave;=20
1. Time/budget/space.  How could we fit in more when we=E2=80=99re up to our=
 eyeballs=20
with work  now?=20
2. Market saturation.  If we produced 5 or 10 RPTs a year =E2=80=A6 well, so=
on we=E2=80=99d=20
have too many  locally.=20
3. Competition with  local technicians. Some are already upset that we=20
produce one RPT a  year.=20
4. In the past some  have quit the program early thinking they knew enough=
=E2=80=A6=20
(they didn=E2=80=99t)=20
I agree with you on  the need for more top notch technicians, but don=E2=80=
=99t know=20
if a school is the  answer. Do you see these as issues?=20
Jim

Jim
=20
I can understand the time/budget space issue. The question is, is the  Dean=20
interested enough to budget another full time faculty member to  teach the=20
course of study, and fund the equipment, space, supplies, etc.?
=20
As far saturating the market, I think that will solve itself. When a piano =20
tuner graduates, and sees there is no business, they will move to areas of t=
he =20
country that does need them. If BYU does start a full time program, it will=20=
=20
attract students from around the country. (Same philosophy as doctors and =20
accountants graduating from the school. They don't all stay in Provo, do the=
y?)=20
=20
As far as students leaving early, if the school offers a degree, it should =20
encourage most of them to graduate. It doesn't prevent them from  leaving=20
early, thinking "they know it all," but might be enough of an incentive  for=
 them=20
to stay.=20
=20
Which brings us to the other posts, the need for college level techs  to hav=
e=20
a BS. If the CAUT program is successful, and universities start asking  for=20
tuners with the education and experience, it might encourage students to get=
 =20
the degree.
=20
Just some thoughts on the matter.