pay raises wasRe: [CAUT] job opening

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:50:27 EST

In a message dated 11/4/04 1:09:07 PM Central Standard Time,
jtanner@mozart.sc.edu writes:

They  look to other universities to see what is being paid for similar
positions  elsewhere, despite the fact that full time CAUT
positions/incomes  represent a fraction of one percent of all piano
technicians  nationwide.

I believe this economic affairs committee survey could go a  long way to
assisting CAUTs with salary issues, IF the questions regarding  income
are worded in such a way to be able to provide accurate comparison  with
private sector incomes.

This is where I think CAUT ought to make an impact. Universities are  not
going to look at the private sector to compare incomes. They are going to  look
at what other universities pay their piano technicians. (and then take  only
the low end of the average). If we take a survey and find that the  average is
only $30 - $35K, then that is all universities are going to pay. On  top of
that, as Jeff pointed out, if piano tuners are lumped in with other  instrument
repair technicians, who need only a high school education with  minimal skills,
and need to work under supervision, then it won't do anything to  elevate our
profession.

What I would like to see is for the guidelines to say that to be a  qualified
CAUT, a piano tuner needs to have a college education, with a  minimum 10
years experience in tuning, rebuilding regulating, voicing, etc., and  perhaps
throw in something about being an RPT in the PTG. And to get someone  with this
kind of experience and education, it will take $40 - $50K per year.

It's going to take a while, but if we put it in writing, and keep sending
out the guidelines, hopefully in another 10 -15 years, music  schools will start
to catch up, and the average will be in the 40 - 50 (or  the equivalent).

Wim