FW: M & H Stringing scale

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:52:16 EDT

Hi, Paul -

The M&H 'A' went through a lot of scale changes.  We've done three of them
(1930, 1933, and 1983) in the past year.  These were all scaled the same
(amazingly) as regards the treble wire gauges.  The last thirteen were 5 - 17, 5 -
17.5, and 3 - 18.  Nowhere near the heavy scaling you show.

We also have an older 'A' (c.1904) apparently in original condition in the
shop now, but haven't taken the scaling from it yet.

I think, like several of our colleagues have advised, this might be a fine
candidate for rescaling.  Or perhaps use the scale we found on these three 'A's
recently; they all worked out to be quite nice pianos.  If you need the rest
of that treble scale, let me know.

Fond regards,

- Tom McNeil -
Vermont Piano Restorations