FW: M & H Stringing scale

Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:29:08 -0700

I would consider having someone recalculate the scale.  It often yields improvements and you just don't know what the original intention was.  Also, MH A's, and many other pianos, will vary in speaking lengths from piano to piano so I find it's better to just run the numbers again.  Make note of the original scaling and give that info to the person who will recalculate the tensions for you to insure that you don't deviate wildly from the overall tension level of the original--low versus high tension.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Kupelian
To: Caut@ptg.org
Sent: 6/11/2004 6:54:09 PM
Subject: FW: M & H Stringing scale

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Kupelian [mailto:pkupeli1@twcny.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 10:40 PM
To: 'caut-bounces@ptg.org'
Subject: M & H Stringing scale

Hi,
Any out there have a stringing scale for a Mason & Hamlin A about 1913, SN 22219.  The ones in the Travis book do not match what I recorded for our project piano and now we are trying to figure out if I was wrong or it just wasn’t listed.  Everything is fine until I get to the last thirteen unisons.  I had written down the following: 6 #18, 11 #19, and 2 #20.  The Travis book we have is an old one (circa 1961) and the closest scale in that area was: 9 #19, 1 #19-1/2, 1 #20 and 1 #21.

We are trying to figure out if the scale I have; (a) exits in a later addition or, (b) will work.

Paul