Practical Concert Work

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 01 Jun 2004 07:55:03 -0600

--On Saturday, May 29, 2004 4:06 PM -0700 Otto Keyes <okeyes@uidaho.edu>
wrote:

>  The current penchant
> for over-stretched tuning is also counter-productive, since tone is richer
> (shoulder voicing or not) when all the harmonics of the scale of a
> particular instrument work together to build the sound, rather than each
> high treble note screaming away on a pitch of its own.  (no bias displayed
> here, of course!  :-))

Hi Otto,
	I'm interested to know what you consider to be "over-stretched."
	As a point of reference, my own tuning style emphasizes 8:1 triple
octaves, at least at the top end of the piano (IOW, notes in 8ves 6 and 7
are tuned to the 8th partial of notes in 8ves 3 and 4). In the center of
the piano, I use a stretch that corresponds pretty closely to RCT style 5
(using RCT, I start with 5, and use custom EQ to generate additional
stretch at A5 [just a hair], A6 [a bit more] and A7 [a lot]). This is
pretty much the way I've been tuning for many, many years, though when I
tuned aurally, I would emphasize 6:1 19ths (easier to hear and test -
m3rd/M17th), and later, using SAT, I would start by bumping up the A number
by around .5 cents, and expand higher from C5 to C8 by checking lower
partials.
	My own intent is exactly what you describe: making "all the harmonics of
the scale of a particular instrument work together to build the sound." I
like the way the whole instrument sounds with this degree of stretch. There
is a blossoming of tone, to my ear, when "playing the whole piano" (holding
down the pedal, play, eg, C1/C2, C3/G3/C4; then C5/G5/C6, C7/E7/G7/C8. Two
big chords with both hands. Listen the the reverberation). And I've begun
to lean to 16:1 quadruple octaves for concert instruments. Single octaves
do have a significant beat in the upper ranges, but the upper notes aren't,
IMO, "screaming away on a pitch of their own" but, rather, reinforcing a
partial from lower in the piano. I have yet to hear a complaint that I
stretch too much. I have occasionally had requests to stretch more (which
is what led me to experiment with 16:1, which actually isn't that much
wider than 8:1).
	Anyway, I'd be interested to learn other people's opinions about what
constitutes enough or too much stretch.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico