Journal Articles

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 31 May 2004 21:45:35 -0600

--On Monday, May 31, 2004 12:37 PM -0700 Susan Kline <skline@peak.org>
wrote:

> Well, Fred, while I agree with you in general (only not on 1/4" check
> distance) I can think of one time when one needs this much safety margin.
> I've had to deal with blocking and bobbling in too many otherwise nicely
> rebuilt grand actions after they've been delivered and played a few
> weeks. For that matter, I've had to fix dragging backchecks as well, on a
> well-rebuilt grand. My general theory has been that the (good) rebuilder
> just put too ambitious a regulation on when the parts were new and were
> going to settle in.

Hi Susan,
	Actually 1/4" check was Roger Jolly talking, not me. I do like close
checking, but usually within 1/2" does it for me, with 3/8" as general
minimum (and that depends on tail profile).
	Blocking often shows up on newly rebuilt pianos because the regulation
button felt is new and soft, and the tenders pack them more quickly than
compaction of knuckles will compensate for. Hence, I like to iron those new
felts. How? With a hammer sizing caul or a hammer iron. Or, if you can
remove the regulating rail, with a clothes iron. If you have the wipps out,
sometimes a cloths iron can be used with regulating rail in place. We're
talking pressing like you press hammer felt or keybushing felt, not too
much heat and not too much pressure, but enough to compress a bit and make
the fibers lie down neatly together. With care that you are pressing
parallel to the button wood, so the felt is flat, not wedged.
Regards,
Fred