troublesome rep.spring adj. (was Baldwin warranty / 743 question)

Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:50:11 +0200

Mark Cramer wrote:

>"are the hammers off the rail, have you got drop, and have you got rep.
>spring tension?
>
>Much as I would like to race through these, a question I've added to my
>notes is "one spring or two?"
>
>If the answer is one, then rather than merely confirm spring tension, I am
>going to adjust it, (as in "light-as-functional") right now.
>
>And rather than just confirm there "is" drop, I'm likely going to dial it up
>pretty close too,.. and probably rough in the checking (you know why) and
>all of this even before step #1 on the regulating check list.
>
>I know this may sound like a lot of work up-front, but in the circumstance
>described earlier, it certainly saves trouble later on.

Doesnt sound like a lot of up-front work to me.  Sort of like doing a
real good first pass tuning.... without wasting any time mind you.  The
final run ends up being a lot easier and a lot more dependable. In
regulating this kind of thing can save you lots of time troubleshooting
stubborn problems.  You basically establish a baseline of known
<<goods>> from which to work out from. I suppose individual approaches
vary from tech to tech... but the basic idea saves a lot of time and
headaches.

Cheers
RicB