Baldwin warranty / 743 question

fssturm@unm.edu fssturm@unm.edu
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:23:00 -0600

Quoting Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>:

> Thanks to those who responded. Guy, Lawrence, and others.
>
> Fred, I wasnt personally bashing Baldwins.  I dont really like
> manufacturer bashing of any sort, tho I can recognize that many of us
>
> have issues with certain piano makers.  I was more curious as to the
>
> comments I've heard increasingly that come off pretty negative
> sounding,
> and was beggining to wonder if it had been better or not for Baldwin
> have simply passed on into the history books instead of whats
> happening
> now since the Gibson takover.

   As for what Gibson has been doing, I guess I'll just have no comment. It
doesn't look like anything very positive will emerge, but who knows? I think
Baldwin had a great history, and the R & D there was definitely the most
progressive, forward-looking, creative . . . , during a very exciting span of years
20 years and more ago. I hate to see all that disappear, just like I hated to see
Mason & Hamlin disappear. Mason is back, and maybe Baldwin will be some
day as well. The designs are good.
   So my answer is a qualified no: I don't think it better for Baldwin to simply
disappear. OTOH, what emerges being called a Baldwin may not be something
I will have any respect for.
Regards,
Fred