Strings going out of tune/A-440 pitch

John Minor jminor@uiuc.edu
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:03:30 -0500

Wim:

I had similar problems with our Hamburg D having a string
wander here and there and seem to have had good luck with
tapping the strings to the front side bridge. I am able to
use a flashlight flooding light sideways across the bridge and
actually SEE light shining under the string just behind the
front bridge pins! I also nudged the plate bolts a bit.

We have visiting orchestras that request 442 every few months
and I have no real problems raising the pitch the day before
and then tuning again the day of the performance as well as
after dress rehearsal. I too have heard it is partly to ENSURE
the pitch is not BELOW A-440. I can imagine a scenario where
groups on tour get tired of finding pianos with low pitch and
request 442 just to be SURE it's not low. Several European
orchestras violin players have pulled out their own tuning
device to check the A as I leave!

John Minor
University of Illinois