A 440 Hz Standard

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:23:23 -0600

At BYU the orchestra is now tuning to A442 and the double reeds are
having a fit over it! (Teachers included) They tell me that their reeds
need to be made to a specific pitch, and because of the nature of the
beast it is dificult to play A442 on a reed made for A440. They are now
carrying reeds for both pitches.=20
=20
Jim Busby
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Don A. Gilmore
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 4:45 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: A 440 Hz Standard
=20
Think about what you're saying, Wim.  The instruments must be designed
to adjust sharp or flat within a reasonable range.  Do you think the
musicians tuning to 442 are throwing their horns in the garbage and
buying new ones?  Don't be asinine.  That's what tuning barrels and
rings are for.
=20
My trombone is tuned to 440 and the tuning slide is extended about 3/4",
allowing for sharper or flatter tuning.
=20
My point is that instruments are never permanently tuned to anything.
This is common knowledge.
=20
Don
	NO, this is wrong. A wind instrument can be made to go flat, but
there is limited to how sharp it can go. To make a wind instrument
sharp, it must be shortened. Unless you cut off part of the instrument,
it cannot be tuned any sharper than the instrument is long, with
everything pushed in as far as it can go. =20
	=20
	Wim.=20