Why a string goes out of tune.

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:20:24 -0400

Wim,

If you didn't understand what I was saying, I feel sure there are others
who didn't as well.  I'll try again.  You say you can't believe that the
pitch of the speaking length can be changed as much as 50 to 100 cents
before the string will move at the bridge.  Well, I can, because that's
what I measured.  It will depend upon how much of a "set" the string has
taken at the bridge.  I would expect it to be more in some cases, and less
in others.  I'll admit I did not take many measurements.  I plan to make
more measurements in the future, and I expect to find a very wide range of
values, for the very reason I just mentioned.

No, Wim, I am NOT saying playing the note softly will equalize the tension
across the bridge.  You know that.  I said pounding will cause it to move
if it is about ready to move anyway.  If the tension is not equalized
across the bridge, but the string is about ready to move, but you play
softly, nothing will happen.  But if you do pound, or if the pianist
pounds, then it will move, and the pitch of the speaking length will change.

Now consider the fact that you have a whole bunch of strings whose tensions
are only partially equalized across the bridge, because there is no way you
can completely equalize it.  All it takes is for the relative humidity to
change, the bridge to swell or shrink, or the temperature to change so that
the difference in expansion coefficient between wood and steel will cause
the string to slip a microscopic amount at the bridge, or someone to pound
the key; the string will move at the bridge, and your perfect unison tuning
will be spoiled.  I think this makes lots of sense.

Sincerely, Jim Ellis