Real Pianos Win

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:13:01 EDT

jorge1ml@cmich.edu writes:
My concerns about Clavinovas were:
    1.  Durability
    2.  Portability  (theft potential)
    3.  Obsolescence
    4.  What happens if a beverage goes in one?
In 1984 I was at a chapter meeting in the Twin Cities when Bill Brandon gave
a presentation. One of the things I distinctly remember him saying was that at
that time, Yamaha was coming out with a new invention for electronic
keyboards every 10 months, and that those instruments were considered obsolete after
18 months. He didn't say this, but government regulations state that if a
company guarantees a product, it must maintain inventory for that product for the
length of the gurnatee. So if these instruments are guaranteed for 5 years, if
anything breaks on one after that, Yamaha is not obligated to keep parts in
stock. Considering that they come out with a new instrument every year, you can
see how they might not want to keep spare parts in stock any longer than
necessary.

There is a place for electronic keyboard in school, like portability,
recording capabilities, different instrumentation, etc., just to name a few. But if a
school (or anyone), is going to buy one, (or 33 of them), they need to start
saving to replace it within the next 5 years.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano tuner/technician
School of Music