Real Pianos Win

Jorgensen, Michael L jorge1ml@cmich.edu
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:41:28 -0400

List,
     In 1993 we bought a new Clavinova classroom.
     In 1997 I sat with a group of professors divided over whether to buy Clavinovas or Yamaha P22s for twice as much money for the general practice rooms for our new building.  Consensus was we would buy some of each, though it was a heated meeting.   The stalemated professors turned to me for opinions.
My concerns about Clavinovas were:
    1.  Durability
    2.  Portability  (theft potential)
    3.  Obsolescence
    4.  What happens if a beverage goes in one?

Our 1993 Clavinovas were still flawless at that time, but opinions swayed and we bought 31 new P22 studio uprights and zero Clavinovas.  The electronic proponents said we were like an airline buying new propeller planes in 1960 instead of jets, or a railroad buying new steam locomotives in 1954.  I wondered myself.

     By 2000 the Clavinovas started having problems, (after seven years of six classes a day), bad key contacts, loose connections etc.

     Today they all sit in storage having been replaced with new more than a year ago   The 1997 P22 practice pianos are still much like new, in fact, sometimes I have to peak at a serial number to know for certain that they aren't one of the new loaners.

I have no regrets, and if faced with that decision again, I would do the same.

-Mike Jorgensen
Anybody looking for some 1993 Clavinovas???