Tuning stability

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:34:04 -0500

Marc,

I basically do your steps 1 & 2 while I'm stringing and don't do any
bending/seating until I have it to pitch. I've re-strung many, many pianos
and have never had any problems pulling 50 cents over. Straightening the
bends on all the non-speaking segments and using the Strate-Mate on the capo
bends (when at pitch, of course) gives very fast, precise results. I've
always wondered where all those bends go every summer when the pianos go 20
- 30 cents sharp and in the winter when they go that flat. Everyone with
sore backs from leveling strings should check out this Strate-Mate
contraption.

Eric Wolfley
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati