Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:20:25 -0800

I think the question that first needs to be asked is why do you need to tap the strings.  The assumption is that the strings ride up on the bridge pins.  Assuming positive bearing and proper bridge pin angles with a bridge and pins in pristine condition that is not likely.  The reason tapping down seems to make a difference, however, is important to examine.   Over time, the strings cut into the bridge pins creating a small indentation or notch in the side of the pin that the string tends to want to ride in.  At the same time, compression on the bridge top (exacerbated by tapping down on the strings) lowers the contact point on the bridge.  Unseating on the bridge top tends to occur when the contact point on the bridge top is lower than the indentation in the side of the pin.  Therefore, you are much better off tapping down the bridge pin than the string.  Tapping down the string will, at best, be a temporary measure.  At worst, it can create a further disconnect as the contact point on the bridge top is lowered due to further compression of the bridge top.  Tapping down the bridge pin will at least lower the indentation so that it more closely coincides with the existing level of the bridge top.  Furthermore, false beats are usually a product of loose bridge pins and a flagpolling of the pin which creates an oscillation.  Tapping down the pins and keeping the sting-pin contact point closer to the bridge top will help this problem.  Better would be to treat the loose pin with a few drops of thin CA glue.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

To: caut@ptg.org
Sent: 3/31/2004 9:31:21 PM
Subject: Re: Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

In a message dated 3/31/2004 10:04:57 PM Central Standard Time, Tunapianer@aol.com writes:
Is the termination seriously compromised or disturbed when the strings are
allowed to ride up on the bridge pins?  Aside from the obvious weakened tone and
potential false beats, are there long-term effects?  What if you never tap
them down?  How often to tap?  Sure messes up stability...

Greg Soule
Pensacola, FL
Tapping strings should be done on an as needed basis. If you don't tap the strings, it will, as you point out, create false beats, and it weakens the tone. So why would you not tap the strings? As long as you use a brass rod of some sort on the strings, I don't think you're going to compromise the strings. Not only do I use a brass rod, I use a soft face hammer because I think It reduces the impact of the rod on the string. However, I was taught to always tap the strings on the bridge, not in front of the bridge. This reduces the notching of the bridge.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Technician
School of Music